ABRAHAM ADVENTURES

ABRAHAM ADVENTURES
My Lolo Dodong

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Kota Kinabalu - Day 3A - I WAS LOST AND SCARED OF DOGS – Still in KK (Feb 2, 2011)

Yesterday I tried to go up to the Signal Hill Observatory passing thru the cemented steps at the back of the hostel where I stayed. But there was a portion without cement and it was difficult for me to step up because I was wearing my white leather shoes. Besides, the dark clouds started to gather, so I decided to go back and do it this morning.

I wore my slippers because I don't have tennis/hiking shoes with me. It was a very nice walk on the road at the top of the hill, with so many trees, and it's cool. I love the scenery. But sometimes I forgot that it's left hand drive here and you need to watch the cars on your left. To be sure I always watch both sides. I reached the Y road section and I was confused which way to go. But when I saw the arrow that says to Signal Hill, so I chose the road to the right, going up. I was catching my breath. A good exercise at 8:00 AM, a breath-taking view of KK city.

Then I passed by private residences, and there were warning signs at their gates to be careful with dogs. Since they are fenced, I thought I'll be fine. The next house was under construction and I was terrified when suddenly 2 brown dogs started to bark at me and came near me. I managed to relax so the dogs will not get angry. I waved the mineral water bottle to drive them away but they still barked and followed me, until I reached the peak. I wondered why the gate is closed, the building was under construction, and no tourists were there. It was Signal Hill No. 3 and still under construction. Then I realized I was lost! The 2 dogs followed and kept on barking at me. There was another house beside the gate with one more dog barking at me but he's inside the fence. I was scared to the max! Then I shouted "Help", hoping somebody's inside the big house. I also shouted "tolong" which is the Malaysian word for "help" which I learned from the frontdesk.

When I kept on shouting the word, the 2 dogs who followed me kept silent and slowly moved back. Then an old Caucasian woman came out of the door and asked me why. I told her I am lost and afraid with the 2 dogs. But she only said that they won't bite so I have to go down again and look for the Signal Hill which was just below their house, passing to that other road at the Y section. I was afraid to be bitten by dogs. Here in KK? Oh no, I can't imagine what will happen to me. So I decided to sit down and wait for the construction workers to arrive or anybody who will be lost too like me or the lady until she drives down......I don't know what time will she go out.....I was hopeless. I cannot contact the hostel too because my cellphone has no signal, no roaming whatsoever. Palpak and 333 ng Smart Philippines!

HELP CAME after 45 minutes. I heard the 2 dogs were barking again and I heard some voices. There were 2 men in white long sleeves, slacks and ties, with bags and leaflets and they knocked at the house of that white lady. At first, I knew they were Jehovah's Witnesses. But the lady refused to entertain them. Without hesitation, I greeted them Good Morning and asked for help. The white man was Murray from Christchurch, New Zealand and the other is Mitsu from Japan. Both are missionaries of JW here in KK.

Murray gave me a magazine and comforted me. I walked down the road with them. They walked to the side where the dogs were. Murray would wave his umbrella when the dogs started to attack. He said, "people are more dangerous or violent than dogs, and that is what's happening to our world now."

I thanked the 2 JW's who helped me. So I continued walking down that road towards the Signal Hill and to Atkinson Clock Tower after. Then down to my way back to the hostel.

This was a terrifying experience abroad. "Ok sana kung ASKAL lang yun na pwede mong batuhin. But they were guard dogs."

No comments:

Post a Comment