ABRAHAM ADVENTURES

ABRAHAM ADVENTURES
My Lolo Dodong

Thursday, February 10, 2011

KOTA KINABALU – DAY 1B

After we were finally released by the Kota Kinabalu International Airport Terminal 2 security forces, we were then directed to the Immigration Hall. By the way, KKIA has 2 terminals. Terminal 2 is the Low Cost Carrier Terminal while Terminal 1 is for the other big airline companies. The terminal 1 is the new one, with wi-fi internet access, modern and hi-tech facilities, unique building design.

By the way, while waiting for the security officers at KKIA to release us, I met Erik Abrahamsson, a Swedish guy who is doing his research among the Badjaos in Davao City. What a small world! This is for his thesis in Anthropology.

I also met Mr Rudy Sebastian, a retired mechanical engineer who now lives in Toronto and his cousin, Mr Rex De Vera, a pilot of AirPhil Express. Both are in holiday to see KK and Borneo. Rex worked as a pilot with Malaysian Airlines for several years and also lived in New York. But he chose to be back in Philippines.

After the immigration stamped my passport, I quickly walked outside the arrival hall, hoping the driver who will pick me up was still there, but he’s gone. The hostel where I stayed offered free airport pick up for 2 nights and above stay. But I missed this due to the incident happened.

I had no choice but to find a taxi to the hostel. The airport is 7 km away from the city. The bus in KK is from 6:00 AM-7:00 PM only. Taxi coupons are available at MYR30 which is good for 4 persons. (Please note there is a 50% surcharge between 11:50 PM to 6:00 AM). Since the coupon is good for 4, I invited Erik to ride with me and since he didn’t have a place to stay yet, I suggested he would stay in my hostel too. Rudy and Rex also stayed in my hostel, as they were also looking for a place.

Due to the incident at the airport, we didn’t have time to exchange our money or go to an ATM. But the hostel in-charge that night, Elsie, was so kind that she allowed us to pay the next morning. We were so hungry and we looked for a place to eat. The restaurants in KK usually closes at 9:00 PM. It was prior to Chinese New Year so they extended it until 10:00 PM. We ate at a Chinese Resto and I ordered chicken rice with complimentary soup and it only costs MYR5.50. There were also flea market on the street and it was a colourful first night in KK.

I stayed in a dormitory accommodation with Erik and it only costs MYR25/night – with aircon, linen, simple breakfast, wi-fi, clean room & toilet, hot & cold shower and they accept credit card. The towel rent is MYR5. The place is centrally located and walking distance to everything. There is a locker with MYR10 deposit which is refundable upon return of the key. They also accept bookings for package tours in KK, Borneo and anywhere in Sabah.

No comments:

Post a Comment